Wednesday, February 15, 2012

L1

Throughout all of the Super Bowl’s that I’ve ever watched, there are a few that stick out in my mind. From the Buccaneers spanking the Raiders in 2002, to the back and forth shootout between Carolina and New England in 2004, there have been some great ones in my lifetime.  However, being the diehard Bills fan that I am, none come close to the Giants Patriots matchup in 2008. The Patriots were looking to put the cherry on top of their ice cream sundae of a season. After shattering records and putting up videogame like numbers all season long, nobody thought that the Giants had a chance in this one, and that the Pats would cruise to a 19-0 undefeated season. It was an epic story of the underdog, and it made for an instant classic. I remember watching this game with Joe and Nick Foss in their basement with a sheet pizza and 50 wings all to ourselves. I can recall sitting on the edge of my seat for the 3rd down conversion that the Giants need to keep their game winning drive alive. I distinctly remember seeing Richard Seymour simply absorb Eli Manning, and seeing Manning somehow get out of his grasp, and find David Tyree across the middle who pinned the ball against the top of his helmet to haul it in. That was about a 20 second rollercoaster of emotion that I will never forget. Sheer terror to pure elation, which is what sports are all about. The Giants went on to find Plaxico Burress in the corner of the end zone to cap off one of the most remarkable drives in Super Bowl history. The second he came down with that ball the entire basement of the three of us simply exploded into a shoving match filled with high fives and hugs. I remember being tackled by over the cough and being hurled onto the floor by Nick during all of the excitement. Unless the Bills someday win the Super Bowl, I don’t think that any game will close to this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment