Friday, February 17, 2012

J1

When I think back to grades K-5, many great teachers come to mind. Mrs. Schimia, Mrs. Bridge, and Mrs. Stoldt, to name a few.  However, along with the good, there were also a few bad, who shall not be named at this point in time. But without a doubt, my favorite teacher for this time frame was my 4th grade teacher, Mrs. Leon. Mrs. Leon was an exciting and energetic teacher who truly loves her job.  She incorporated hands on and engaging activities into her curriculum which was my favorite part. Any teacher that thinks she is going to sit and teach a class full of fourth graders for 8 hours straight is out of their mind. You need to get them involved, and Mrs. Leon was the master at just that. Another reason that I was so particularly fond of Mrs. Leon was because she was beyond patient in putting up with the mischief and nonsense that my friends and I would cause. She didn’t get frustrated and scream and holler, but rather handled the annoying problems that my elementary school buddies and I so frequently caused like a professional, which is something that even as a child you can respect and want to obey.  Mrs. Leon had a very exuberant and comical personality. I remember the one time she came into school dressed up as Abraham Lincoln on his birthday as a fun way to teach us about his life. Nothing beats a teacher that really just likes to have fun with her students. Also, we used to have dance parties every other Friday as a way to get us up and moving around, instead of just sitting and doing nothing. She also let us listen to our Walkman’s when we had recess on free time, which I really loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment